Thursday, August 4, 2011

3 Days!

Roughly speaking I have been home for 3 days since the trip to Alaska. I am also leaving in just under 3 days for Africa. There are so many things to talk about and share with you! I know I won't get all of them.

Some brief things about Alaska:
It was great, wonderful, amazing, glorious, gorgeous and more! I was there for 18 days. Two weeks of a Vacation Bible School in two different native villages. Parts of it seemed more challenging than others and years past. It has been amazing to see the kids grow up over the years. The amazement on their faces, when you say their name, is great. They just can't fathom that this strange person already knows their name and gives them the time and attention that they never dreamed of. Some of the kids are old enough now that they are helping us and filling in the needs. Personally, I had some issue being gone so long. I wasn't totally homesick just friend-sick. Being gone that long made me realize how blessed I am with my own friends. I definitely came to the conclusion that missing people would be one of the hardest aspects of long term work.

Africa is creating mixed feelings right now. I still have some essential tasks to complete and of course the other things that I want to do before leaving again. The to-do list does cause me stress for sure! It seems that it is masking some excitement also. This week I have said out loud, "leave for Africa on Saturday". That has really started to have it hit home. Today, I came home and had a package. It was the hard copy of the tickets and itinerary. That was crazy and extremely exciting! Holding the tickets in had was definitely the most recent "wow, this is really happening!" moment.

I hope to share some more before departing but honestly right now, sleep is needed.

Blessings until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment