Thursday, May 21, 2015

It Didn’t Feel Like Africa

When you reached the end of a commitment that was on your mind daily for months, how did you feel? What did you do at the end? Maybe a project at work or a semester of college concluded and you felt a huge weight lifted from your shoulders. Yesterday, I finished my formal language learning of Swahili. For as long as I will live in a Swahili speaking country, my learning of the language will continue. However, yesterday I completed both a written and spoken final exam. It truly felt like the conclusion of a college semester.

The two other AIM families in Morogoro wanted to celebrate with us both the ending of school and the beginning of life in the village. We had previously decided on a Mexican meal because Melody and I were really craving that. The date was set for yesterday evening so that the weight of school would be lifted and the joy of finishing would be maximized.

Melody and I arrived early, as we wanted to help prepare and cook the meal. Neither of us had spent much time in a kitchen (excluding a few days in Nairobi) since leaving America. She started chopping and I started on my task. To me, it seemed a little odd, yet enjoyable to be cooking. Someone else arrived with her contribution to the meal. Kids were nearby playing. Everyone was chatting about recent events and how the day had gone. Every part of the evening seemed like a normal that I have known, a normal that is familiar.

Then, the time came. All were present and hungry and the food was ready! We filled our plates and claimed our spots at the table. Every bit was delicious and treasured. Conversations continued and it was a blissful evening. Then it became better…..

Our teammates and now friends wanted to bless us with a few gifts. They wanted to make sure we had some things to make our new house feel like home and a few things that are good to have in the village setting. We opened our gifts and were overjoyed with an abundance of generosity and blessing. A smile was plastered on my face for this part of the evening and my heart was overflowing with the love that we were receiving.


Later that night, I realized what made the evening stand out so much. It didn’t feel like Africa. It felt familiar. It felt normal. It was a group of friends, gathered together, sharing a meal, celebrating accomplishments and new beginnings, and expressing love to one another. It felt like home. But, this is Africa. Africa is becoming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment