Saturday, September 20, 2014

When you least expect it

Society and our nature has taught us to constantly want. From the time we are born we want.

We want food.
We want a clean diaper.

Soon, we grow into some toddler and preschool independence.

We want to pick our own clothes.
We want to stay up past bedtime.

Then we get into our school years.

We want to play instead of homework.
We want to go on trips and have the must up to date stuff.

Even in young adulthood we want.

We want the "easy" professor at college.
We want our significant others to listen ad do what we want.

All of these wants have one thing in common. Do you know what it is? On second thought, there are two things in common with everything we want. The first is a bit obvious. All of the wants start with "we"; which is really an "I" for each of us. The second commonality is implied. All of our wants from birth to present day fall into a timely matter. That time frame is NOW. Everything we want, we want now. We didn't want to wait 30 minutes for mom to finish dinner for the rest of the family before she fed us when we were infants. We didn't want to pick out our clothes next week; we wanted to pick them out today. We wanted to play today after school, not tomorrow. We wanted the easy professor in every semester not just the one two years away. Both of these commonalities are significant problems.

The "we" or "I" should be God.
The "now" should be His timing.

Right NOW I'm in the midst of raising support of all kinds. Prayerful, financial, logistical, and everything in between. Currently, the financial aspect seems to be the most pressing because there are deadlines that need to be met. One of the most crucial aspects to full time missions is the monthly financial support that people commit. I feel like I am struggling in this area because I can see the current numbers and I know the deadlines.

I want people to commit NOW.

Wait, there it is again. "I" and "NOW"….those little things that are big problems when it comes to wants.

Instead it should go more like: I trust that God will provide the support I need in His timing.
Logically, I know that. But some things are easier said than done.

In a book I was reading earlier today, the author went on a small rabbit trail about knowledge. He mentioned the difference between wisdom and knowledge. Wisdom indicates the capacity to not only understand something but also act accordingly. Knowledge is having that understanding but lacking the ability to act suitably. So, I know that statement above is true but do I have wisdom regarding that to act accordingly? To be honest, based on some text messages and conversations, a few friends would say I have not had that wisdom the last week or so.

I've had to slowly let go of my wants and the time frame that I wanted those to occur.
Two examples:

1. I did not get appointed to full time ministry when I WANTED. I thought it would happen in February, then May, then June, and then found out that a decision had not even been made. Then, just as the work day was coming to a close on July 3rd, I received a life changing phone call and here I am preparing to move to Africa. The phone call came when I least expected it. But in between all of that, someone gave me some advice that I have not yet forgotten.

"I know it's tough and I can completely empathize with you! At the same time, I'm excited that God has you waiting - that will only make the resolution of your situation that much sweeter!"

2. I have not received monthly support when I WANTED. I expected some people to respond immediately. I also wanted them too. I thought people would leap out of the gate knowing that I've been working toward this for a while and that I am so confident that this is God's calling for me. Two months after this assignment became official, I only had one monthly supporter. Within a few minutes of sharing this concern with a group of people I respect greatly, someone else informs me of a monthly pledge. This post was initiated by a little happening this afternoon when I was doing a regular everyday task. I went to check the mail and when I least expected it, God provided another monthly supporter.

In the first world, things often need to happen by a deadline. However, what we fail to realize is that God's timing also takes into account those deadlines. It doesn't feel like it. We don't realize it. But He knows what we need and He has it all under control. His timing is often equivalent to when we least expect it. I know most of you know that.

Here comes the challenge: This concept needs to go from knowledge to wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment