Monday, December 15, 2014

It's Iowa.

Is this Heaven?
No. It's Iowa.

Do you know what that is from? It is a quote from the movie "Field of Dreams." That movie was actually filmed in Iowa AND I have been to the house/field where the filming occurred. Iowa may not be Heaven and I am confident a number of people could tell you many reasons that it is not; however, I still love that place dearly!

Iowa is where my family is from. I have a very small family and everyone lives there other than my myself, my mom, and one uncle that lives in California. Iowa was my first stop for traveling to see everyone as many people as possible before I leave for Tanzania.

I spent a week there and it was blissfully wonderful. It was complete with a small dusting of snow, much card playing, a visit to the farm, and the ever faithful cold, oh so cold winter wind.


My family is a farming family! We were the odd ones that moved to another state and lived in the [big] city. If we are being honest, I believe there were times that I could say I honestly wished I had the seemingly more relaxed life of country life and much less of the hustle and bustle that comes with the city. My brother has been living there for a few months now and helps however he can on the farm. I was able to catch a snap shot of him in action as he climbed to the top of the bin to close the lid so the corn didn't get wet from the rain.


This was also a great week because I didn't have anything requiring a specific return. Usually when I visit family, the trip is too short and requires an abrupt ending so that I can return to work or school. This trip was purely for pleasure as I didn't have looming assignments or work schedule awaiting my return. It was filled with many a card game as well as good conversation and simple time with family. I did do something new. After over two decades of visiting Iowa, I went on my first trip with my uncle in the semi. My brother went along also.


When you are on the interstate and you see these semis that seem so big? Do you ever wonder what "regular" vehicles seem like to those drivers? I have often thought that and I was able to get my answer.  The other vehicles do seem small. Above is the view I had for the trip. 

I also saw something that I was not mentally prepared to see…..just wasn't expecting it.


Grandpa was using the iPad!! ha! He even had perfected the technique for swiping. He hasn't mastered all the details yet but he just might be a pro by the next time I see him in a couple years.

The drive back to Tennessee was spectacular. A winter storm was moving through the Eastern half of the state and leaving a trail of beautiful snow. It wasn't much but it pleased my heart greatly to see it. I just adore the creation of frozen water into unique crystal-like figures that accumulate into an amazing white blanket that gently covers the ground and creates and overwhelming peace throughout the air. There was quite a wind that came with this storm system. It was definitely blowing towards the East. As I was driving South I could look to the left and see a picture perfect scene that depicted what winter means to so many. Although, it came with a slight twist. The snow had been blown so much that it was plastered to the side of every structure and tree. I had to use extreme self control not to pull off to the side and take pictures. The snow seemed to create its own winter wonderland scene leaving the outer edge of each tree as an outline to scene of snow. Snow trees gently outlined filled the countryside and it was a beautiful sight that I am thankful to have had the opportunity to nest it into my memory.



Below is the obligatory selfie from the trip!





No comments:

Post a Comment