Thursday, December 18, 2014

The weeks are numbered

Millions of people across the world have been counting the weeks until Christmas. Now, there is only one week left. Last minute shopping will be happening at all hours of the day. Wrapping gifts, packing bags, visiting family, and rejoicing for Christ's birth will fill the next seven days.

I, too, will be participating in all those activities. However, I still have another countdown going and my weeks are numbered more so than ever before not with quantity but with certain solidity. Last week, I received my flight information. I officially get on a plane for Africa four weeks from today. January 15th I will leave from Africa Inland Mission's USA headquarters and head to the airport. 

There seems to be so much to do in the last four weeks. 
Friends will be visited.
Supplies will be bought.
Bags will be packed.
Goodbyes will happen.
Sleep will overcome me.
Bags will be packed again.
Excitement will motivate me.
Lists will be checked. And checked. And checked.
Bags will be packed one last time.
A journey will begin.

Countless emotions will overcome not only me but also my friends and family. This journey as been filled with emotions from the beginning. I can remember being excited to hear about another organization that offered wonderful opportunities to serve in Africa. Just before my interview I was filled with anxiety and countless butterflies as I knew such  short time could entirely determine the path of my life. I was stressed as I filled out the application and made my doctrinal statement. Frustration and joy of the current season cycled regularly as I waited for appointment. All of that seems so distant now.

Now is the time to be present and enjoy each moment. Now is a time to rest. Now is a time to prepare. Now is a time to let God overwhelm me with blessings so that I may pour it out into those that have never experienced His grace and mercy. 

The weeks are numbered…..

No comments:

Post a Comment