Sunday, March 1, 2015

Back in School

Tomorrow, March 2nd, Melody and I will begin language school. It will be four months of learning Kiswahili. We will start with vocabulary and work through grammar and everything else.

You might be thinking, "I thought she was going to learn Swahili." It is the same thing. It is kind of like using Deutsch and German.

I am very excited about this next step of preparation! Throughout the last month Melody has been teaching me some of the basic phrases and words that she knows from her previous time in East Africa. I can remember learning to count 1-5 on the way back from going to the ATM on our first weekend here. I am quite thankful to have a few words and phrases under my belt to boost my confidence a little bit. However, that confidence my come crushing down the first week of class or even the first week.

I often wonder if some of the class time will be spent like the two guys in this video.



Although, I am descent at English and have been speaking it coherently for a number of years. I have often heard that English is one of the hardest languages to learn. If you think about it, English really doesn't make much sense.

Consider the following:



How about that for a great example of how much sense is in the English language?

I wonder what rhyming will be like in Kiswahili……

As I mentioned earlier, being able to learn a few words and phrases over the last few weeks has helped to encourage me that I CAN learn another language. I pray that I see progress in myself at the right times to help encourage myself and persevere on to the next level.

Thinking back on the English language…..it does make me wonder a bit….

Watch this:



So…with all that said (and watched), I sure hope I am ready for tomorrow.

It will be a time of learning and learning and learning more.
It will be a time to be still and and let God mold me.
It will be a time to learn the culture of the country I will call home.
It will be a time of excitement and frustration as I go through the ups and downs of school life.

Please pray for the following:
Rest when needed
Perseverance to keep going
Patience when we aren't learning as quickly as we want to
Fun times to relieve stress and recharge us
Understanding for the importance of preparation so we can be more effective when we get to the field



If you would like to learn more about where I will be, then check out the school website. That link will describe the long session which is the course that we will be taking. You can explore the site some and learn more about the school and the area.



No comments:

Post a Comment