Saturday, March 7, 2015

Day 51

The days are long and the years fly by.

That’s a phrase I have heard from a few more experienced missionaries. Only 51 days into a 2 year journey and I can already see how that statement will be so true!!

We have completed our first week of language school. It was probably the hardest week I have had since moving to Africa. With a little downtime on the weekend I have thought of one reason that made this week such a struggle. I have never been around this language before. Listening, reading, and painfully speaking Swahili really is like rocket science or Greek to me. Our orientation and extended stay in Nairobi was all English. My previous trips to Africa have been in other countries with their own beautiful language and this is a whole new world. It is also school. The crash of a new culture with a school environment (which makes my brain give myself expectations that may or not be realistic) resulted in a challenging week.

The campus of our school, the town nearby, and the other AIM missionaries have been wonderful. Melody and I felt so welcomed to the school as our team leader brought us here and another missionary came just to meet us. Africa also provided a warm welcome, as we did not have electricity for three days this week. This lead to our first of many if/then statements that will soon be common in our conversation. For example: If there is power, then I will study after dinner.

Even in just one week’s time, we have met so many people. There was a large group of volunteers from Germany that were staying on the campus this week. There is also a couple from Korea and a few families from America. One thing I have noticed so far is that there is seemingly an instant sense of community. People will help others in any way they can. Walmart, the mall, grocery stores, and everything else are not just 15 minutes away in your personal vehicle. It is a sense of community that I feel like I have seen glimpses of in my last year or two in America. However, it is also something that I feel is greatly lacking. Maybe it is a concept that bleeds into our lives from the family and culture of the Africans that we are starting to share our lives with.

It seems that people, both missionaries and more so Africans, are more aware of their neighbor’s needs. It may be through intentional inquiry or it may be through being honest and sharing what we really need. Both of these possibilities allow for the option to bless someone. This is hard for me to digest. I love to give and serve. I am not always a fan of being on the receiving end. This week as shown me that I will need to be on the receiving end more than my comfort zone really cares to think about.
-If I ask Melody to help me with language, then our relationship will grow
-If I ask another student to come to town with me, then we may have an opportunity to learn something in town.
-If I ask someone in the village to help with anything, then that could be the beginning of a relationship that could be a starting point for ministry
-If I share about a struggle to a missionary that’s been on the field for a while, then they may have experience from a similar situation that could significantly help me


I am beginning to believe that this first term of commitment to Africa might be God working in my life more than I am influencing the lives of those around me. I hope I am still able to do the latter!! However, there is no doubt in my mind, that God is going to be constantly working in my life so that I, too, may grow, change, and be molded into what He has called me to be so that I can be most effective in furthering His Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment