Sunday, April 12, 2015

NEWSLETTER: April 2015

April 2015: God continues to teach me in all areas.




Continuous Learning

Language/Culture and God's design for my life

Learning a new language as been a process that is full frustration, humility, moments of success, laughter, and massive amounts of patience. It is a undertaking that requires daily commitment (except maybe a little less on the weekends). You can read here what an average day looks like at school. Officially, we are at the half way point both according to the calendar and the curriculum that the school uses. A couple weeks ago we learned the numbers which lead to a blissful couple days of class as we did math most of the time to practice the numbers. Other days are a challenge and require a high amount of intentionality to stay focused and not frustrated.

God is also teaching me about what He wants for me personally. One of the major concepts is that my identity needs to be in Him. I have become aware of how I define myself and how that needs to change. I do not need to define myself based on the test we had last week. I do need to define myself based on what God has called me to do. I do not need to define myself based on the ways I am not contributing. I need to define myself based on what God has promised me. Mark 4 talks about the storm when Jesus and the disciples were on the lake. Jesus' last words to the disciples were that they would go to the other side. Yet, when the storm came, the panicked and woke Jesus up. They might have been more calm if they remembered He said they would get to the other side. I need to remember that Christ has called me to minister to the Digo people. The storm of language school will pass and then there will only be small showers of continual learning. However, I know the ending. Jesus has called me to be a missionary so He will equip me with what I need in each moment.
Cassie and I full of excitement upon our arrival to Zanzibar. It was a wonderful place full of history.
One of the beautiful creatures that was staring at us while we gazed back at it.
Adventure and excitement have not been absent during the first half of school. We had some days off for Easter and I went to the beautiful island of Zanzibar and visited Stone Town with a friend from school. It was a very successful adventure within the country complete with a bus and ferry ride. We enjoyed the time away with a city history tour, shopping, and reading by the Indian Ocean. Another adventure was just yesterday. The school arranged for a trip to Mikumi National Park and we went on a safari. Although, we did not see lions, we did see many giraffes, zebras, elephants, hippos, and other animals. Just being in the middle of the scenery and beautiful country that God created with mountains in the background was such a blessing.

Please visit my blog for current prayer requests.

I would love if you would share how I can be praying for you and your family. You can respond directly to this email and let me know what God is doing in your life.

May you be abundantly blessed so you may bless others!

Katherine Rowe


No comments:

Post a Comment