Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Some Safari Snapshots

Trees have always fascinated me. This one stood out to me. I love how the branches have reached out and the leaves have formed into an umbrella over the area to provide shelter and shade.



One of the first animals we say was this baby elephant. It was so amazing to see a creature that is known for its massive size and strength while it is still so “small”.



Yes, this is another tree. Although, if you look closely, you can see a giraffe playing hide and seek albeit not very successfully.



We also caught a glimpse of some water buffalo. Per their name, some of them were hanging out in a small water hole.



Hippopotamuses are also known for their massive size and strength. They can actually be quite dangerous animals. We were not able to see them out of the water but they definitely kept their eyes on us.



Melody (right), Cassie (middle), our great friend from language school, and myself in front of the hippo pond. We enjoyed a day of being “tourist” with binoculars and cameras. It was wonderful to have a bit of a break from school.



At times we were blessed to see different animals coexisting. I loved those moments! It was wonderful to see two creatures with differences living together as if it was always meant to be. It made me think of how we, as missionaries, are going to be trying to live with other people that have an abundance of not only differences but also similarities.



Baobab trees are all over the language school campus. Their massive size is overwhelming. We took a break from the safari and climbed one of the enormous trees in the park. Although, this picture doesn’t depict the height, it does give a glimpse of the size when you see Melody where the trunk splits into different directions.



I decided to join Melody in the fun and climb up the tree also.



The baboons were so fun to watch as they scattered across the land when we drove by. But before they were too far away, one mom stopped and allowed the young one to get a glimpse of the tourist.



After the safari, we stopped at a snake house that was nearby. Admittedly snakes are not my favorite animals. However, with some glass between us, I could handle it….mostly. This cobra was not to happy about our visit.



Of course, there is always the one snake that is “small and safe”. Melody and Cassie as my witnesses, it really seemed to like me and would come toward me even when other people held it. It was not something I was happy about but I held him for a moment anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment