Sunday, April 23, 2017

Then and Now


Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, child and closeup

The above picture was taken 21 April 2013. I had spent the last month in Rwanda and my roommate family came to pick me up at the airport. So many things about that month seemed so incredible. To begin with: How do you pack for a month? And at the end...what will it be like to return home after being in a different culture for a month.

This sweet girl grabbed my arm and said:
"ppssst, I love you"......."I just want to hold on to keep you safe."

It was a sure way to melt my heart as we drove home from the airport.

That was FOUR years ago. She is now 7 and we both had to figure out life while living with an ocean between us for two years.

Just last week, I said goodbye to her and her family again.
She has a younger brother now. He is a few months shy of being three years old.

That sweet boy saw me come and go many times during the four months I was in America. He was often sleeping or busy when I left but he sure celebrated when I came back, often announcing my arrival with all the might of his lungs....."KATHERINE'S HHOOOMMMEEEEE!!!!"

But last week when we said goodbye, he didn't really quite understand what was happening. He gave me a hug and said bye. But his sisters and his mom held on a little longer. After a little bit it seemed like he could tell this one was going to be different. He just kept holding on just like his sister did four years ago when I returned. Although, this time his sweet calm (possibly concerned) voice quietly said "I don't want you to go".

There's no picture to capture the moment and that might be a good thing. I suppose some moments are best to be captured only in our hearts.



Note: His mom intervened and provided the needed comfort for both him and myself so that I could walk away.

Fun fact: I still wear that fleece on international travel days.

No comments:

Post a Comment