Monday, January 12, 2015

OBK: Paying it Forward & Success!

Pay it forward is a great movie. A wonderful concept is depicted through the innocence of a young boy who just wants the world to be a better place. The ending of the movie shows just how corrupt the world can be and it is heartbreaking! But the concept of pay it forward lives on still. I have seen reports where people pay it forward by paying for a the meal or drink of the vehicle behind them in a drive through. Personally, I have been blessed to be on the receiving end of this!

In February 2013, I attended leadership training for Visiting Orphans. During a time when people were offering ideas to help newer leaders have a successful team, someone shared a concept that I thought was genius. As the leader of a short term trip, connect with a close friend or family member for each person on the team. Get a note or two of encouragement from them and give it to the team when the time is right. I felt so blessed to be able to put this into action for my last two short term trips that I was leading. One of my favorite moments was when one team member said, "Wow your handwriting looks a lot like my husbands." Then she finished reading and realized it was from her husband. 

This concept stemmed from one experienced leader, moved to me scrambling and probably annoying some of my teammates family, sneaked it's way into a few of my friends, and now has blossomed into a huge blessing for me. I hope that you felt blessed to be part of something that will touch not only me but also those that God has called me to witness to. I don't even remember the name of the lady that told us about the idea, but I love how God led her to not only bless her teams but also share it with so many others so that the concept could be passed on and continue to spread!!

You may or may not know what OBK means. OBK is an abbreviation for Operation Bless Katherine. It has a nice ring to it. I had my suspicions based on some things I saw and that I knew my friends saw me collect letters as well as gave me a few letters on my last trip. I willingly gave up my email contact list to someone so dear to me that requested the list and that I ask no questions. OBK was put into action and was quickly becoming a success! If I was to be asked, all I wanted was 24, so that I could read one each month. On Saturday, I was given a bag that was overstuffed with envelopes and more envelopes of different sizes and colors. This is a classic case of God clearly saying that I had set my expectations too low. The next day, I counted and organized the envelopes (but you probably expected that). OBK was so successful that there were over 140 notes AND I know I will be receiving a few more tomorrow. Overwhelmed with joy and blessing I am so thrilled to have this blessing!!!

Another great story about OBK is related to a devotional a wonderful friend shared with me about a month ago. She was doing a study and God had put it on her heart to share that specific devotional with me. Conceptually, it talked about the need to let ourselves be filled up first so that then we can pour out and be a blessing to others. God needs to fill our spirit so that when we are over flowing it allows us to pour into others' lives. It made sense at the time. Per my usual tendencies, I was quite busy and always on the move. I felt God was telling me to slow down and let those near me nourish me so that I will be filled to the brim. God did slow me down and make me rest. Now, He overwhelmed me with blessing, not just a one time blessing but one that will continue on for two years. I am ecstatic that I have this continual blessing so that I can confidently leave my comfort zone knowing that each and everyone of you are sending a small portion of yourself with me to help on those tough days and bring laughter to the mundane days. 

Thank you! Oh thank you so very much!!

OBK was a huge success and I hope that it becomes a regular event before each time that I head to the mission field that God has called me to.

Thank you again. All of you, thank you so very much.

Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment