Sunday, January 18, 2015

Update from Nairobi and Leaning on the Rock

Greetings from Nairobi, Kenya!!!

Oh my, how I have waited so long to be able to say that!! It still seems surreal that this is actually happening now. After so many steps of preparation and waiting for God's timing, I am here living the path that is both God's will and my dream.

We only had about 24 hours of travel from leaving the office and Peachtree City to arriving at the guest house in Nairobi. Although, it was a stressful at times because of a delayed flight and a near missed connection, we still made it and only two checked bags were lost along the way. One of them has since been delivered. The other one belongs to my ministry partner, Melody, and is still MIA and we have little hope of finding it.

Front of part of Mayfield Guest House.


Tuesday afternoon we will leave for Africa Based Orientation (ABO) but until then we are staying at a guest house in Nairobi, Kenya. The guest house is primarily used by AIM missionaries so it has been so wonderful to meet other people that have the same calling. I've meet other missionaries from Holland, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, and Germany.

Coming a few days ahead of ABO is an intentional step so that we have time to rest and adjust before jumping into so much information. Personally, that is an answer to prayer because I tend to go, go, go beforehand; so I am enjoying a few slow paced days. Nairobi is 9 hours ahead of central time in America. ABO will be in Nakuru, Kenya which is about 3 hours Northwest of Nairobi.

ABO is a three week learning and orientation time. Individuals and families that are full time missionaries with AIM attend at the beginning of their first assignment. We will have three families at ABO, totaling 13 kids. Most of the others are on a time that will also be serving the Digo people group. However, they will be across the border in the Southeast region of Kenya. There will also be two couples and 6 individuals. We will spend each day together learning about different cultures in Africa and different methods to use to help us adjust.

The two families and the other ladies that I traveled with from Atlanta are amazing! The kids are wonderful and silly and definitely help to fill the void that I have from some young ones that I am so used to having around back in Clarksville. I went for two walks yesterday with different people just to look around (and to help stay awake). After diner, many, many laughs were shared among us. It may be the Lord's blessing of humor or it may have been the jet lag. Either way, I consider it a blessing to be able to find so much joy with these ladies. I look forward to the next few weeks of learning and continued preparation for our time in Africa!

Earlier this morning I was spending some time in Psalms 62. A friend had referred me to verses 6-8 and they have been oh so applicable!!

"He only is my rock and my salvation:He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah."

My friend wrote, "I know it's a lot of emotions to take in right now - overwhelming at times. Hold tightly to Jesus. Let Him be your Rock when everything else is moving and shaking."

This could not be more correct right now. The next month will be full of so many changes as have the last few weeks. Overwhelmingly blessed is what I consider myself when I think about the number of different places I have laid my head at night over the last few months. I am going to fast from technology, limited as it may be. I want to be established with my ministry partner and the others that are transitioning to a life serving in Africa. Although, so many of you have held my arms up throughout this process and continue to do so, now I must learn to rely on those geographically closer to me. Above all else, my strength must be found in our Lord and Savior. I know this is only going to happen if my faith is in the right source. I will fast from technology until Melody and I arrive in Morogoro. We fly from Nairobi to Dar es Salaam on February 13th and will travel to Morogoro by vehicle on the 14th.

One other aspect of this new adventure is the instant family that we have become. Each person with AIM has a similar calling and we are in a similar situation as we make our homes in Africa or has some have returned to their African homes for over 2, 5, or 10 years. There is an instant connection between everyone.

For now, I will continue to build relationships with those that are attending ABO. We will continue to learn more about culture and different methods to adjust to this new life that God has give each of us. We have another day of rest tomorrow before leaving for ABO.

Prayer requests:
continued rest and recovery from jet lag
bonding between team members
dependence on our Savior as our source of strength
perseverance through the changes
open minds for continued learning


No comments:

Post a Comment