Tuesday, December 1, 2015

NEWSLETTER: November 2015

Continuing a journey with new beginnings.......





Continuing with another beginning

The journey continues in Africa; however, right now it feels like it is just beginning with so much newness surrounding me. I came to Kampala, Uganda on 17 November and have been settling in both at the office and in the flat I will live in for three months. The flat's usual resident is on home assignment and this will give me time to learn about Kampala as well as be with other AIM people in the same building.

Although this is like a new beginning, it is still a continuation of my time in Africa and it is interesting to process expectations with what has happened and how that has varied with each phase. For example, the flat I live in has a microwave. Having come to Africa expecting to be in a village with no power, a microwave is mind boggling. On the other hand, I love having a balcony on the third floor. It is a pleasant place for breakfast or evening reading.

Don't worry, be happy.

I was opening a few notes from friends and family this past weekend. One of them had a picture of my brother and I. [See below] The envelope said just the same has my brother's shirt: Don't worry, be happy. I thought that to be very appropriate. So much transition has happened this year for me and now to start again. I'm sure people in the states are trying to figure out everything for gifts, parties, families, and more related to the holidays this time of year. I enjoyed this little reminder and thought maybe you would like it also. 
Saturday breakfast on the balcony.

A blast from the past. My brother and I, age 4 and 2.
The other members of the team in the office, allowed me almost two weeks to get settled some and start finding my way around. This time was such a blessing!! Yesterday was my first official day in the office. The office staff has also gone through significant transition the last few months and it will take some time as we each figure out how to delegate tasks and and define our roles. For now, I am getting used to new computer systems, the behind the scenes process for placing new missionaries, and helping with other tasks around the office.

Please join me by praying for:
-smooth adjustments and ease of settling into a new country, city, job
-quick and easy process with immigration and application for work permit!!!; (Praying everything gets cleared before my 90 day visa runs out or I will have to jump the border to get a new visa. This is tricky with the holidays and other factors that may delay the process.)
-friendships in and out of the office to form quickly and with a solid base
-thankfulness for wonderful ladies that are helping me learn the ropes of Kampala and AIM's central region
-wisdom for the office staff as we define our roles and delegate tasks with the ongoing transition
-hear, follow, and have assurance about God's direction for myself


I would love to hear from you!! You can respond directly to this email to let me know how God is blessing and/or challenging you as 2015 starts to come to a close.

Grace and Peace,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment