Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Iceberg Missions

Let’s look at missions like an iceberg.



The top of an iceberg is beautiful from planes or ships. It provides great photography opportunities and a mystique that captures the attention of so many. The visible part of missions includes cute kids, exciting adventures, new friends, and success [defined differently and individually]. Beneath all of this, is so much more. The iceberg has jagged edges, sharp corners, great depth, and unpredictable weaknesses in structure. The unseen part of the mission field includes: language difficulties, cultural barriers, medical challenges, spiritual warfare/intimidation, sleepless nights, unwanted responsibilities, missing important events with friends and family, doubts, criticism, risks, failures, disappointments, and hard work.

History and Hollywood showed us how dangerous the bottom of the iceberg can be.

At the beginning of August, the bottom of my iceberg started to weigh me down. With Melody’s help, prayer, and great effort I kept my head above the surface. With time, it became clear that I needed to get out of the ocean. A few weeks ago we left the village and made our way to Nairobi. While here, I am gaining the rest, medical help, and knowledge I need to help me stay focused on the top of the iceberg.

While in Nairobi God is showing me the following:
-He is my comforter
-He is always with me = I’m not alone.
-the importance of joyful trusting throughout turbulent times
-His ways are better than mine [Although, this is quite difficult to grasp beyond head knowledge during this time. I think this is much easier to believe with hindsight.]
-He has not forgotten about me and still has a plan for me, it just isn’t what I thought it was

The future is not known from my view. From God's view, everything is working out exactly as He planned, exactly as He knew it would. This is very hard to accept. As with any twist and turn in our plans, we usually don't appreciate them until afterwards and we realize the amazing opportunity that we would have missed had we gone straight. Some days it takes frequent intentionality to accept all of this. Life in the village may have had its challenges but it was my home. Being in Kenya has definitely taught me that my heart is there in Pande and I have longed to go back. 

Some decisions will be made at the end of this week and beginning of next week. Right now I am not sure what to hope or expect regarding these. I can only pray for wisdom for my leaders and acceptance for myself.

Please join me in praying for the following:
-Amani school as they work through financial needs and shortage of teachers
-Melody has she settles into Kwale and finds her way during this time
-financial wisdom as the finances of Nairobi vary a bit from that of the village
-Wisdom for leaders and doctors as they make decisions 
-Acceptance and patience for myself during this time
-that I may be able to identify and rebuke lies from the enemy




One weekend in Nairobi, we stayed with friends. 
I was able to get some much needed dog therapy.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine, You are fearfully and wonderfully made, God's beloved creation. God knows and understands you even better than you do yourself. May you relax into God now, climb up on his lap and know that you are loved and protected by our Creator as his sweet child. Thinking of you and praying for you to have peace, wisdom, and trust.

    ReplyDelete