Wednesday, September 9, 2015

NEWSLETTER: September 2015 - Flexibility

Many changes surprising me but not God.





Blessed are the Flexible

.....for they shall not be broken.

This is one of the lesser known beatitudes. It is also the first thing I learned from my unit leader once I arrived in Tanzania earlier this year. From a small handful of short term mission trips, I knew that flexibility is key, but to have it stated this way really exemplifies the importance. Flexibility has been crucial throughout but its need has increased lately.

The best laid plans...[of anyone]....often don't go in the expected way. Our Savior is the only one that has the best plans. Right now, His plans are not my plans. A few weeks ago, I left the village and came to Nairobi. Please read my blog titled "Iceberg Missions" for more detail as I want to share more than what would fit here.

I will continue to stay in Nairobi for now. As of last week, Melody has joined a team in Kwale, Kenya and will continue to be with them while I am in Nairobi. She will travel to Pande as needed to continue to help with administration at the school and fulfill our commitments there.
Please continue to keep the staff and students of Amani School in your thoughts and prayers.
One afternoon I took a break with some friends and went to visit some of Nairobi's tallest residents.
Be Flexible, Keep Calm, Love Africa. This might need to be my new motto.

For my visual friends....it feels like this:
Melody and I were playing a game of bananagrams and dutch blitz at the same time. It was a little crazy but we were still having fun. A few minutes in, someone sets up an industrial fan, two muddy goats walk in and start eating cards, and three chickens are all over the place pecking at the letter tiles. It reached a point that we could not clean it up on our own.

Right now it takes continual conscious effort to even just "be ok" with the situation. I expected to serve with Melody for two years in Pande and just shy of three months we left abruptly. I can read and know scripture and know His ways are better, know this will work for the good. But for that to continually make the journey from my mind to my heart takes great effort at times.

I often cling to Romans 8:26 "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." (ESV) If you would like to join me on a few more specific areas, please pray for:
-Amani school as they work through financial needs and shortage of teachers
-Melody has she settles into Kwale and finds her way during this time
-financial wisdom as the finances of Nairobi vary a bit from that of the village
-Wisdom for leaders and doctors as they make decisions
-Acceptance and patience for myself during this time
-that I may be able to identify and rebuke lies from the enemy

With love from Nairobi,
Katherine

[Top picture: After crossing into Kenya, I was blessed to pause at the coast and get my feet wet in the Indian Ocean before coming inland to Nairobi.]

No comments:

Post a Comment