Sunday, January 24, 2016

10 Ways to Encourage a Missionary

Note: the title and idea for this blog came from The Gospel Coalition
I saw a link to their article by the same title on facebook.
I encourage you to read the original article. It is a few years old but still very applicable.

I abbreviated each suggestion and offered some of my own thoughts on each one.

1. Pray and let us know
It seems so simple but it is so true. I can't tell you how many times I received an email or a text message from someone to let me know he or she is praying either in that moment or throughout the day. In fact, just this weekend, I received an email from a lady I have actually never met but she had heard about me and the Lord laid a verse on her heart for me. She shared it with me and it was quite fitting and comforting.

2. Snail Mail
I feel like snail mail is a little known secret. There is no way to describe the excitement we get when we get a note. There is a subtle jealousy that emerges for a minute when someone else gets mail and you don't. Maybe it is because we know it took your time so you have us that time which is something that you can not get back. Maybe it is because it is really awesome to hold something and know that you held that same piece of paper a couple weeks ago.

3. Pray for the people that are served
AIM puts a huge emphasis on prayer. To my knowledge, all the office meet each day (of the work week) and spend time praying for unreached people groups and for those serving in the area. Some places have monthly prayer days. If you aren't sure where to begin, just ask. We can try to offer something more specific.

4. Recruit others to pray
This brings me back to number one. Remember how I said that I received an email from someone I didn't know? She was praying for me anyway. Moments like that truly lift spirits on the hardest days.

5. Go visit
Just do it. Enough said.

6. Send them updates and pictures.
I know you want to see pictures and get the newsletter and about 7 of you read the blog. To be honest, I really want the same from you. I do!! I want to know how your week was, what was vacation like, how your coworkers are amazing (or not), etc. Pretend we are going out for coffee or having a meal together or going for a walk.....send me your half of those conversations. One of the best things that I received in that suitcase full of goodies was a four page typed letter full of little stories of life and it was absolutely lovely.

7. Ask questions
PLEASE! If you ask questions then I know what you want to know. Your questions will help me figure out what I'm not communicating. Knowing what's on your mind will help to write a newsletter with things that you will find interesting. Please, ask questions! Just please be lenient with what the time frame you allow for a response.

8. Continue to be a Christian friend
For this I will bring a quote from the website. I really don't think it can be said any better.
"Missionaries struggle with the same sinful attitudes that plague Christians everywhere. Leaving home to live among unreached peoples, may be a step of faith in the process of sanctification, but it is not a step that roots out all sin. It is likely to lead to and expose all kinds of previously unnoticed and unexpected sin. Having friends that know me, are patient with me, and expect me to be the same struggling sinner I was when I left helps me stay humble when tempted toward arrogance, and hopeful when tempted toward despair."

9. Support financially
One of the most practical ways faith is seen in overseas missions is the finances. Some are called to go and some are called to support. Being here would not be possible if it wasn't for so many of you that stepped out in your faith and said, "Yes. I believe in you and believe God will provide abundantly for me so I can help you." There will never be words to describe how thankful I am for each of you. Financial support can be done by helping to provide the needed monthly support, checking for specific unique financial needs, and providing a little extra for something fun.

10. Encouragement when they are stateside 
Well....I am roughly a year away from this one. I'm not even sure I can say what I think it needs to look like. I would like to direct you back to the original article for more information.


Again, please read the original article. The article is made up of quotes from actual missionaries. It is a honest and helpful perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment