Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Five years later.....

So much can happened in five years. I think that statement can be understood by everyone. 

I find it hard to believe everything that happened last year, let alone the last five years.

It was five years ago, 26 January 2011, when I knew that God wanted me to go to Africa. It was that day that He confirmed Africa was part of His calling for me and not just something I wanted to do. You can read about that day by reading my very first post on this blog.

A few days after that post, I signed up for my first mission trip to Africa with Visiting Orphans. In August 2011 I set foot on the beautiful continent of Africa for the first time. You can read about how I journeyed from that day to January 2015 by looking at this post about my journey to Africa.

Now, it is hard to believe that I've spent a whole year on this continent. 

The last five years have been filled with so much.....

-wonderment at the first experiences in Africa
-feeling blessed to be able to return just 4 months later
-overwhelmed at the support of friends and family
-thankfulness to be part of a new church that became my family and helped in every way possible
-excitement as I researched long term options
-disappointment as the timing of things didn't happen as I had hoped
-rejoicing when leaps were made in the forward direction
-stunned at how fast God provided a way for me to go
-pain through physical and emotional aches
-relief that the journey would continue even if it looked different than I wanted it to

That is just a minor glimpse of so much that has happened in five years.

Now, I know I'll never truly feel at home because I have come to know and love so many people in a variety of places countries. I also know that God has complete control over this journey. Events will happen in His timing and the path will be one that He wills. I can step forward knowing that I have countless people supporting me in every way possible from emails to finances to pictures to packages. I have confidence that whatever I need will be provided and often in ways I was not expecting. God will bring new friends when I am lonely; money when there are unexpected financial needs; laughter when I am sad; encouragement when I am struggling. 

I am both excited and nervous for what the next five years will bring. But I know that I can tackle them because God has brought me through the adventures of the last five and He will do the same for the next five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment